Brooke Layout

July 27, 2012

Foodie Friday

Maybe I'll have one of those blogs with theme days... we'll see. For today though, it's Foodie Friday.

Last night I tried a new way of making a baked potato and it was YUM-O. I've been trying to find ways to cut a few calorie corners in our house, without making the Mr. feel like he's missing out. So when I saw this recipe, I knew we had to try it. Now I'm fully aware that it is NOT healthy and that butter, salt, and oil are not diet foods. However, when you eat a baked potato with sour cream, butter, cheese, and bacon like we do, this is a slightly lighter version.

It's called a "hasselback potato" and from what I can find, it's a Swedish cooking technique. What I liked about the recipe that I used was that it was simple and easy to adjust to my tastes. I see lots of possibilities for variations!

The recipe I "followed" was here.

Now, I only made one potato for J-dubs and I to split because I'm not too sure that these will reheat well, so I just eye-balled the amount of "i can't believe it's not butter" and oil. Also, I used pre-minced garlic instead of sliced and I had to cook mine at a lower temp because it was baking alongside some tasty chicken. I also decided to take the potato out halfway through cooking time and use a spoon to re-drizzle the oil/butter over the spud because it had pooled in the bottom of the pan. BUT, other than all of that... I followed the recipe. Hah. My potato wasn't exactly as crispy as I would have like, but it's the chicken's fault. What a jerk. (that would have been a much better joke if i was making jerk chicken, but I wasn't).

This potato was ah-mazing. We added no extra salt or butter and it was super tasty. J-dubs was wishing he had his own and didn't have to share. Too bad, so sad buddy. There was no way I was missing out on that deliciousness.

So, if you're looking for a new way to cook up a good spud, I give this recipe two thumbs up.

No comments: